We are now at week 8 in Round 2 for 2019, of Maxine’s Challenge, so it’s time for an update. I’m quite happy with my progress over the past eight weeks, although all has not been perfect. There have been more examples of life getting in the way of plans than I would like. Below are a few stats that show what my life in fitness has been like over the past eight weeks, in just a few quick words.
- 30 weights sessions
- 24 Walks including 8 walks over 10k and 3 walks over 15k
- 6 Rpm classes
- 3 Circuits
- 4 HIIT sessions
“I’m usually fairly good at sticking to the plan. Until things go awry that is. So when I get unexpectedly busy, I tend to get overwhelmed and the plan goes out the window for that time period, until I can get myself back track”.
The above comment is one that I made at the start of the challenge, when posting about my goals for the next twelve weeks. In the previous 12 weeks, I had been working more hours than usual, and had dropped the ball a bit, missing gym and exercise sessions, and failing to pay attention to my nutrition, by not planning ahead. I’m a little ashamed to say that my intention to do better with this has failed. I’m still working long hours and have failed to plan, so it’s no surprise that these intentions didn’t fully come about with the few slip ups that have had. I’ve even started snacking more than I would usually do.
Below are the microsteps I planned to take for the duration of the challenge. I’ve also marked the result so far over the past eight weeks.
- Book workouts into my diary – I’ve done this every day
- Put goals and mantra on whiteboard in gym – done
- Journal every day – workouts, nutrition and thoughts – epic fail
- Record nutrition and exercise plan in journal – fail
- Every night check exercise and nutrition plans for next day – I have checked exercise plan but rarely checked the nutrition plan
- Pre-prepare meals every week – this was done occasionally but not regularly
- Pack lunch and snacks for work, the night before – fail
- Lay out exercise gear the night before, ready for an early start in the gym – done
- Try one new recipe each week – epic fail
- Watch videos on Maxine’s website every week – occasionally
- Contribute to the Maxine’s forum – epic fail
- Use Instagram to record my experiences – started out well, but tapered off
When I look at the above microsteps, I can see that if I had completed each and every step, my progress so far would be as I expected it to be at the beginning. But the biggest mistake I made was to not bother planning and preparing as I usually do.
FAIL TO PLAN = PLAN TO FAIL
Next four weeks
There are four weeks now until the challenge is complete, so it’s not too late to turn some of the above failures into successes, which is what I plan to do by remembering the above quote. More thought and planning will go into my nutrition planning. Even though Maxine’s provide a nutrition plan, I usually swap things about a bit to fit in with whatever is happening in my world.
There were a few failures with my exercise program, but overall, I’m still happy with my progress. I’ve been very consistent and in most cases have caught up missed sessions. I’ve enjoyed the challenge so far, and particularly enjoy the structure it gives to my life.
This list below show the changes I will need to make to get myself completely back on track to reaching my goals.
- Curb the snacking
- Walk every day, even if on extra busy days the walk needs to be shorter to fit it in.
- Increase distance of longer walks
- Don’t miss an exercise session
- Include rowing sessions
- Include more RPM classes
- Remember and revisit my word for the year – Commitment