As I was choosing a You Tube video for my early morning gym session, I came across a Les Mills Body Balance class that was created specially for people who were in lockdown. The instructor asked “What are you getting fit for?” She asked people to post their answer on Social Media, tagging it #iamgettingfitfor…………? This had me thinking. What am I getting fit for? I’m sure many of us spend possibly hours each week, doing fitness activities such as gym, walking, cycling, swimming and much more, but do we ever ask ourselves why we do it. Most of us are probably doing it because we know it’s beneficial for our health. I gave the question some thought, and soon had a list. There is no particular order of importance. Each reason is equally important to me.
I’m getting fit for….
- My mental Health
- My physical health
- Enjoyment of retirement.
- My dog Oscar – he loves his walk.
- To be able to keep up with my grandchildren
- So my son and daughter don’t have to deal with grief of losing their mother
- My large garden which takes many hours of hard work each week to maintain
- To continue cycling into my retirement years
- To keep my dodgy knee and my injured back in a healthy condition.
- Decrease risk of dementia
Seeing the above reasons in black and white, confirm that the time I spend exercising, is time well spent.
Why do you exercise? Have you ever given any thought to the question? I’d love to hear your thoughts, and promise to reply to all comments.
@ 2020 copyright. All rights reserved nextphaseinfitness.com.au